Wednesday, August 29, 2012

General Hospital gains a vet and loses a leading man


In the span of two days, ‘General Hospital’ stunned fans with one coming and one going.

First, the good news, of course. In the waning seconds of Monday’s episode viewers found out who the man behind Jerry Jax was.

I think everyone – myself included – was stunned to see Duke Lavery step out from the shadows. Kudos to GH for keeping a very big secret.

For those that don’t remember, Duke Lavery is the ex-husband of Anna Devane and the former stepfather of Robin Scorpio-Drake. That’s important to note – because Duke is apparently behind the beloved Robin’s abduction.

Fans probably also remember that after Ian Buchanan’s Duke “died” in an explosion more than 20 years ago, a man came back with a new face, claiming to be Duke and then died in Anna’s arms. According to published reports, the man who died in Anna’s arm was an imposter and this is the real Duke.

While I am glad to see Duke – and am thrilled we are reportedly getting a Duke, Anna and Luke triangle – I’m a little confused how he could be keeping Robin from Anna. That’s not the Duke I remember. I hope they don’t butcher his character in order to bring him back.

Still, I can’t believe GH managed to keep Buchanan’s return a secret in this day and age of spoilers galore.

The second bit of news isn’t surprising – but it is earth-shattering for one group of fans.

After 21 years on the soap, Steve Burton is leaving his role as Jason Morgan. Burton cited family, an urge to move to Tennessee full time and a new project with James Franco as reasons for leaving.

I know there are a lot of fans of Jason Morgan out there, but I’m actually looking at Burton’s departure as a good thing.

Say what you want about GH, but the ratings began to fall drastically when the mob stories took over completely in the late 1990s.

Now, I know there are a lot of reasons for the ratings fall – but the mob stories is one part of it as well.

While I would have rather had Burton’s Jason stay on the canvas and boot Maurice Benard’s big mob boss Sonny Corinthos, I’m not in charge. I’m just glad we’ll have a drop in the mob stories.

I’ve heard a lot of fans say they want Jason to ride off into the sunset with one of his lady loves – Sam or Liz respectively – but I disagree with that. I don’t think Kelly Monaco or Rebecca Herbst should lose their jobs because Burton quit.

Monaco is currently heating things up with Michael Easton’s John – and I can’t wait for that duo to get horizontal.

I’m not sure where they are going with Liz right now, but I think she’s too important to the canvas to send out of town with Jason.

Instead, I would like to have Jason presumed dead (only viewers will know he is alive). I should note, I want him to find out Sam’s baby is alive – and he’s the father – before he “dies” but I am essentially done with the character (and have been for about a decade).

I would like the last shot of Jason that viewers see to be Jason waking up in a hospital setting – looking over – and seeing Robin in the bed next to him. If both Robin and Jason are off the canvas – fans can at least know they’re together.

On a side note, anyone know what the deal is with Kimberly McCullough? Sure, we saw her for a few days a few weeks ago, but to my knowledge she is not coming back to the soap so Duke won’t be reuniting Robin with her mother any time soon. How are fans supposed to root for Duke and Anna when they know he is keeping her daughter from her?

Anyway, back to the main topic.

I know not everyone feels the way I do about Jason (and I have nothing personal against Steve Burton – I thought he was awesome in ‘Taken’) but I think GH will be better without Jason.

I know that a lot of fans – myself included – got sick of Jason being the only hero in town.

Jason’s departure opens the door for other characters to shine.

While I wish Steve Burton all the best in his new endeavors, I can honestly say, I won’t miss Jason Morgan.

What do you think? Were you surprised by GH’s casting surprises this week?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home