Saturday, March 30, 2013

Who wins when dragons and zombies collide?



There’s a weird genre dilemma facing science fiction fans this Easter Sunday.

Do they watch the season finale of ‘The Walking Dead’ or the season premiere of ‘Game of Thrones’ first?

For a lot of people, myself included, both events are happening at exactly the same time.

It’s an interesting conundrum.

I love both shows, but I’m clearly going to have to make a choice.

Had you asked me at the end of season one of ‘The Walking Dead’ and ‘Game of Thrones,’ I would have probably went with ‘Game of Thrones.’ While the first season of TWD was solid, the first season of GOT was actually television perfection.

Had you asked me at the end of the second season for both shows – it would have been a harder choice. They both suffered a little from a sophomore slump. Given how great the first season of GOT was, though, that show’s second season problems seemed more pronounced.

Still, it’s HBO, so the lack of commercials would be seductive alone.

Going into Sunday, though, I’m actually leaning towards watching the finale of TWD (and the
final episode of ‘The Talking Dead’) before I watch the season premiere of GOT -- and that's sacrilege for some people.

Not only has TWD turned into the best show on television this year, but it’s also bound to have a few high profile deaths in the finale. With a number of lives hanging in the balance, TWD will probably win for that reason alone.

Also, it will feel good to put TWD away for the season before opening GOT up and delving into that deep world again.

I didn’t hate the second season of GOT. I thought there were some really good aspects to it. It was nowhere near as good as the first season, though, and it had a lot of unnecessary filler.

I am hopeful that, much like TWD, GOT can regain the magic it once had. If not, it’s going to be a long and cold winter – and it’s not going to get any easier to watch if they don’t cut Jon Snow’s flipping hair.

I'm also going to have to avoid my Twitter and Facebook feed for the entire evening -- otherwise I have a certain cousin who will most certainly spoil things for me. 

What do you think? Is it ‘Game of Thrones’ or ‘The Walking Dead’ first for you tonight?

1 Comments:

Blogger Damus Fucious said...

Walking Dead just came back a month ago. Why a Season Finale so soon?
What a bummer!

March 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home