Friday, August 30, 2013

GENERAL HOSPITAL: Death and resurrection . . . and a few things in between



There are two things everyone seems to be talking about on the ‘General Hospital’ message boards these days.

The first (and most important, in my book) is the imminent return of Robin Scorpio-Drake. The second is the birth of baby Georgie Jones Spinelli. Coming in at a very faint third is the murder of Connie Falconeri.

Let’s start with that, shall we?

Connie’s death really didn’t generate a lot of buzz, as far as I can tell. She wrote the letters A and J in her own blood before dying – and the writers have been going out of their way to make it look like AJ killed her – but fans sagely figured out that could easily be Ava Jerome (or anybody else, for that matter) before Connie even died.

I know Kelly Sullivan had fans, but killing Connie off made a lot of sense. She didn’t really have any strong ties on the canvas anymore and the character practically lifted out. And the cast is still way too big.

As far as I can tell, the only people that actually believe AJ killed Connie are the ones that have never watched soaps before – so the story isn’t exactly lighting the message boards on fire. In other words: Most people just don’t care.

On the flip side, the birth of a baby did set tongues (err . . . fingers) wagging on message boards. This
story seems to have fired up fans on both sides of the debate.

Some people desperately want Maxie and Spinelli to reunite and get their baby. Others want Spinelli to get the baby alone – and Maxie to (finally) get in some sort of real trouble.

While many fans are lamenting poor Lulu and Dante’s imminent pain – others are complaining about the heavy-handed writing, which kind of painted the duo as villains in their treatment of Maxie. How anyone can fault Dante and Lulu in this scenario is beyond me – but I’m fairly certain that the baby Britt is carrying is their’s – so they’ll get a happily ever after at some point.

On a side note, I can’t tell you how offended I am that Britt is going to claim Brad as the father of her baby. We all knew it wasn’t Patrick, but do the writers really expect us to believe it’s Brad? He’s gay, for crying out loud. That’s not even a remotely feasible red herring.
 
That brings us to Robin’s return. Reports have Kimberly McCullough starting to film in mid-September, which means she should be on our screens a few weeks later. I would estimate that 75 percent of fans are thrilled by the announcement of her return.

The other 25 percent? Disgruntled Sabrina fans.

I have seen some theories about Patrick actually being torn between the two women – almost all of which were floated by Sabrina fans – but I can’t honestly see that happening. Patrick and Robin were together for years. Patrick was devastated by the loss of his wife and – a year and a half after her death – he still wears his wedding ring. The grieving process for Patrick has been remarkable for a soap – which usually has people moving on mere weeks later.

My Sabrina hate is legendary, so I know I’m biased, but I have never believed any aspect of this
relationship. I don’t think that Patrick is going to have a problem running (not walking) back to his wife. To me, his relationship with Sabrina has never seemed like anything but convenience. Everyone wanted him to be with Sabrina, she was good with his daughter, and she didn’t make him want to gag. That’s not love.

I still think Jason Thompson could be leaving and they’ll write Robin and Patrick off into the sunset together. Either way, though, I don’t think there’s any feasible way Patrick would even consider not reuniting with Robin.

Of course, this is a soap, so Sabrina will probably end up pregnant. She’s such a saint, though, she’ll probably willingly step aside to let Patrick be happy with his family. I hear someone has been cast with ties to her anyway which will (hopefully) spin her in another direction. I'm guessing she's being spun right towards the Jeromes.

I’m just glad my girl Robin is coming home.

What do you think? What were you most worked up about on GH this week?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home