Friday, November 29, 2013

THE WALKING DEAD: Is the Governor's time (finally) up?



The mid-season finale of The Walking Dead is upon us – and I think the only thing anyone can agree on is that it’s going to get bloody.

This season of The Walking Dead has been pretty hit or miss, but I understand what they were doing – tying everything up in a nice Christmas bow for us to unwrap before the holiday season hits.

Sunday, fans of the show are going to get the long awaited showdown between the Governor and Rick. The question is, will both men walk away from it?

I’m going to do some theorizing – and let me stress that this is theorizing, on my part – and say that the Governor isn’t going to survive this encounter.

Why?

First off, it just feels like time. They can’t reinvent the character and somehow make him a hero. I was worried about that when we saw the road he took after torching Woodbury – but fans were quickly assuaged of the worry that the writers would try to rehabilitate the Governor when he started building a lake farm of zombies last week.

Second off, the Governor’s death in the comics looks a lot like the previews for this week’s episode. Turn around if you don’t want to know how the Governor dies in the comics – and do it right now.

Essentially, and this is being simplistic,  a character named Lily shoots Lori while she’s carrying
Judith in the comic books, killing them both. This happens when the Governor is launching an assault on the prison with a tank. Distraught over what’s she’s done, Lily then turns on the Governor.

Now, interestingly enough, the Governor has been making smooching noises with a woman named Lily. He’s also managed to acquire a tank. Now, while Lori is already dead, I’ve been wondering how they were going to handle this baby Judith situation for a while.

Obviously, the prison isn’t going to remain safe forever – and I think the second half of the season after the winter break is going to be dealing with those cult people – or whoever they are – that Daryl heard on the radio a few weeks ago. I think that’s where the group is going to run across Carol again – but that’s a long way in the future.

Back to Judith, though. Once the group goes on the run, I don’t see how they’re going to haul a baby around. For production purposes alone, it sounds like a logistical nightmare. Since Beth is Judith’s caretaker these days, I’m think she might be the one that dies with the baby – if they actually go there. Of course, I could just be hoping for that because I can’t stand Beth – and she’s had fodder written all over her since she was introduced.

I can then see Lily realizing that “Brian” is not a hero but a monster – and turning on him and killing him. It would be poetic justice.

Of course, this could all be my imagination – and the Governor could live to kill another day.

What do you think? Is the Governor’s time almost up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home